Think of onion fritters and think comfort food. Also called as pakoras, hajjis or bhajiya These easy to make, crispy fritters are just delicious and don’t have to be spicy. Made with sliced onions, gram flour or besan and spices; these take no time to come together. The gram flour is easily available in the Indian section of supermarkets.
Start with sliced onions – to this add the gram flor, chillies, coriander and cumin (whole and powder), turmeric and red chili powder.
Mix the ingredients together and allow to sit for about 15 minutes. Then make them into little clumps.
Deep fry till well browned and serve hot with dips/ketchup.
- Onions – 3 thinly sliced
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Cumin/coriander – whole 1 tsp
- Cumin/coriander – powder 2 tsp
- Gram flour (besan) – ¾ cup
- Green chillies – finely chopped – 3 (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Mix all of the above ingredients together and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok. Make little clumps of the onion mixture and add to the hot oil. Fry at medium heat. Fry till well browned.
- Take them out on tissue paper and drain excess oil.
- Serve hot.